DIRECTOR OF MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
Hours per week Full Time, Exempt
Reports to Executive Director
Direct Report(s) Engagement Coordinator
Pay Rate $70,000-$75,000, depending on qualifications & experience
Benefits Health coverage; Vacation, Holiday, and Sick Leave; 401K with 4% company match
ABOUT THE SONOMA COMMUNITY CENTER:
Housed in the beautiful 107-year old Sonoma Grammar School building just off Sonoma Plaza, the Sonoma Community Center was founded in 1953 as a resource for community enrichment through the arts. Today, the mission of the Sonoma Community Center is to cultivate a vibrant community through extraordinary creative, cultural, and learning experiences. Driven by values of community, innovation, creativity, inclusion, and leadership, the Center offers a broad range of classes, events, and performances that encourage people from all walks of life to create, connect, thrive, and build community together.
The Sonoma Community Center is looking for an experienced, dynamic Director of Marketing and Communications to tell the Center’s story through successful execution of a strategic, integrated marketing and communications plan. The Director of Marketing and Communications plays a vital role in ensuring widespread awareness of the programming and resources available at the Center – including our world-class arts and culture programs, our community events, and our rental space. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Marketing and Communications will work closely with staff at all levels of the organization to identify strategic priorities for the Center’s communications activities, and ensure that our lineup of classes, events, and other activities reach a broad range of audiences across the Sonoma Valley and beyond.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
Organizational Marketing Strategy and Management
- Lead development, implementation, and evaluation of a comprehensive marketing and communications plan that enhances community awareness of the Community Center and furthers our strategic priorities
- Develop new strategies and campaigns to engage new/expanded audiences
- Develop and manage an annual marketing budget – including professional services and contractors
- Manage marketing and communications team deliverables and reporting metrics
- Serve as member of organizational leadership team, and participate in organization-wide planning, evaluation, and management
- Establish and facilitate regular marketing meetings with Community Center staff
- Serve as key staff liaison to the Board marketing committee, and participate in monthly committee meetings with the Executive Director
Marketing Strategy Execution and Engagement
- Lead development, implementation, and evaluation of all organizational marketing activities and materials – including publications, media relations, and community outreach
- Ensure that all marketing plans and materials are designed to reach diverse audiences with inclusive, culturally sensitive messaging that adheres to our values of equity, community-building, belonging, and access
- Work closely with program staff to ensure appropriate and engaging marketing for Community Center classes and events, to help drive class sign-ups and event attendance
- Work closely with operations staff to ensure appropriate and engaging marketing for short-term and/or event rentals at the Community Center
- Work closely with development staff to produce an Annual Report and other impactful donor & member communications materials in alignment with the Community Center’s overall strategic plan and goals
Community and Media Relations
- Build and strengthen relationships with local media outlets – including print, radio, and television – ensuring high visibility of the Sonoma Community Center in local media
- Work with Executive Director to develop a Community Center Speaker’s Bureau
- Work closely with Executive Director and Leadership Team to identify key public messaging priorities and ensure that all staff, Board, and other representatives are media-trained
- Work with Executive Director and staff to ensure that the Community Center actively participates in Sonoma Valley community activities and events, including city-sponsored events
- Represent the Community Center at public events as needed
- In partnership with Executive Director and staff, pursue strategies to raise and maintain the Community Center’s profile as a leader in the community and beyond
- Work with Executive Director and staff to complete a re-branding process for the organization
- Ensure consistent branding across all internal and external marketing materials, including online presence and print collateral
Digital Media and Analytics
- Use Google analytics, social media metrics, and other data to track success in reaching different audiences, and monitor ROI of communications channels
- Develop surveys and other feedback loops with constituents and stakeholders to evaluate the effectiveness of PR and marketing efforts
- Oversee planning and creation of all digital communications, including management and regular updating of the Community Center’s website and social media pages, video commercials, and production of biweekly e-newsletters
- Work with social media coordinator and director of operations to identify strategies to increase traffic to our social media pages and website
- Demonstrated skill and experience in design and execution of effective marketing and communications campaigns
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communicator
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Experience developing and implementing effective social media strategies
- Experience with writing press releases and developing media relationships
- Ability to work collaboratively in a creative setting
- Experience overseeing the design and production of online and print marketing materials
- Experience with re-branding processes a plus
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
- Visual design skills and experience with design software (e.g. Adobe Suite, Canva) a plus
- Experience with WordPress a plus
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheet management
- Commitment to values of community, innovation, creativity, inclusion, and leadership
- Willing to be an ambassador on behalf of the Sonoma Community Center
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects and deadlines
- Willing to work occasional evenings and weekends to support programming and events
Please send your cover letter and resume outlining your qualifications to Charlotte Hajer, Executive Director, at [email protected]. This position is open until filled. The Sonoma Community Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Facility Caretaker - Part Time
Position: Facility Caretaker
Hours per week: Part-time postion(s) available, 16 – 24 hrs/wk
Pay Rate: $17.00 – 20.00 per hour, DOE
Reports to: Director of Operations
Benefits: Paid Sick Leave, 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan with 4% Company Match
This position ensures an orderly, efficient and safe environment at the Sonoma Community Center by performing a wide variety of custodial and maintenance duties. Must be willing to work late evening and early morning hours as necessary. Ensures that facilities are structurally sound, mechanically operational and safe. Responsible for the efficient and cost effective operations of the building and related grounds at Sonoma Community Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Takes initiative, is self-motivated to stay busy and maintains a professional appearance
- Performs routine and comprehensive custodial maintenance of facility in accordance with established procedures
- Ensure sufficient inventories of supplies and equipment for maintenance personnel.
- Clean facilities and work areas including rooms and rest rooms.
- Maintain progressive maintenance records, inventories, and files
- Be responsible for compliance and adherence to such code requirements as:state and local fire codes, OSHA and other applicable requirements
- Reports and responds to emergencies in and around the facility;
- Responds to service requests from rental tenant
- Implements the setup and take down of furniture and equipment for events
- Assists with and performs minor grounds keeping duties
- Maintains inventory and submits written requests for supplies
- Operates power equipment such as pressure washer, power tools and vehicles;
- Troubleshoots and performs maintenance including minor repairs and painting
- Oversee and perform long term maintenance projects
- Respond to emergency situations; field after-hours emergency calls
- Coordinate with Director of Operations regarding building use and rentals
- Works closely with office staff and rental tenants to ensure customer satisfaction
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Maintains valid drivers license
- Possesses high school diploma or equivalent
- Possess or eligible to complete First Aid, CPR and AED certification
- Able to lift up to 75 pounds
- Able to stand for eight hours at a time
- Able to perform physical labor such as bending, standing, climbing
- Able to work safely in an environment with cleaning materials, dust and noise
- Understands and carries out oral and written directions
- Maintains cooperative working relationship
- Demonstrates sensitivity to, and respect for, a diverse population
- One year of custodial or building maintenance experience preferred
- Background in construction trades desirable
Submit letter of interest that includes experience and skills with availability. Recruitment will remain open until filled.
Questions may be directed to Charlotte Hajer, Executive Director at 707-931-4166.
Call for Teaching Artists
Teaching Artists Wanted!
You would be perfect if you:
- are willing to teach virtually with support and coaching from us
- want to offer rich art and cultural programming
- have special techniques to share with others working from home
- are motivated by color, shape, texture, and working with awesome people
- want to share a cultural tradition or unique perspective with a larger audience
If you’re interested in teaching opportunities at the Center, please propose a class by filling out this form.
If you have questions before filling out the form, please email one of us (see below). We are now accepting proposals through February 2021 for the spring session of classes (April-June and beyond, 2021).
Arts & Culture staff:
Teaching Assistants- Kid's Classes
Energetic, Smiling Volunteer Teaching Assistants Needed for Kid’s Clay Classes.
A genuine interest in art, kids, and community is required. Must be able to lift 30 pounds and use stairs frequently. This is a volunteer position.
Please email [email protected] with a letter of interest, explaining your credentials and what you would bring to the studio experience.
Volunteer Administrative Office Assistant
Administrative Office Assistant Needed for Director of Ceramics, Sonoma Community Center
We are looking for part time assistance in the office- setting up templates and tables in Microsoft Office (Excel & Word); posting flyers; and other organizational admin-oriented tasks. Goal oriented and attention to detail is a must.
Please email [email protected] with a letter of interest, availability, and explain your credentials and interest in the position. Thank you for your interest!