276 East Napa Street
No clay experience needed! Combo pottery class and cooking class led by Michiho Fukumori, an an 8th generation Doraku Clay Potter and chef from Iga, Japan. Not only a trained chef, she lived as a student of Zen at Daitokuji Temple. There she learned the art of Shoujin Ryori and Tea Ceremony Kaiseki. We are honored that she will be teaching both ceramics and cooking. See agenda below. All must pre-register.
- 10am Intro & throwing demo.
- 11am decorating demo with brushes (students should bring calligraphy brushes if they have them).
- 12pm Lunch Break (bring a lunch or take a lunch break).
- 1pm Students decorate and glaze their donabe.
- Load gas kiln, preheat kiln overnight.
- 4pm End.
- Sonoma Ceramics staff fire kiln (not much for students to see, they are welcome to stop by starting at 9am).
- 10am Donabe Cooking Class at Shige Shushi restaurant, seasoning & care of donabe, cooking with donabe.
- Enjoy a sit down lunch prepared in donabe!
- 2pm: Go to Community Center to check kiln, demo of dounabe trimming/ finishing.
- 4pm End.
- 2pm, Optional: Unload kiln & analyze results. If students cannot make it to unload, they can come at another time to pick up. Shipping can be arranged for an extra fee. See Kala for details.
Info & registration here: https://sonomacommunitycenter.org/cooking-in-clay-donabe-workshop/
email [email protected] for details.