JUL 12 – OCT 25, 2019
Instructor: Deb Carlen
A weekly walk-in, one-hour class with a different topic every week about writing. A quick and easy way to gain in-depth information about the elements of writing, genres, marketing, publishing, and more. Recent topics include how to write dialogue, plot, creating characters, copyright law, conflict in literature, intro to writing science fiction, how to write an article for publication, setting, and many more. Following are upcoming topics:
- August 23: Plot Arcs: Create, use and optimize your story line.
- August 30: Is there a formula for writing romance fiction?
- September 6: Introduction to Magical Realism, a newer fiction genre.
- September 13: Using multiple points of view in the same manuscript.
- September 20: Conflict or tension…which comes first?
- September 27: Pacing and punctuating dialogue.
- October 4: Kenyon Review and other short-short fiction contests.
- October 11: Visual and literary prompts: FREE WRITE.
- October 18: Copyright Law and your writing. Updates and changes in the law.
- October 25: Who’s publishing fiction and nonfiction? How to find outlets.
$10 Drop In
$9 Members Drop In
Deb Carlen is a former journalist, a published, degreed writer, and has taught courses and lectured about fiction and non-fiction writing in 40 states over a 30-year period. She also owned an ad agency, served at the director level for several organizations and firms, and coached hundreds of writers and designers. She currently teaches writing, edits books, and coaches new and experienced writers. Many of her students and attendees have published their short stories, articles, and books.