SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 12 – APRIL 2, 2022
Instructor: Lawrence Pech
Location: Room 213
Bringing together students from various ballet schools as well as those who have never had any training, the Center offers to integrate various levels of training in a fun-filled yet focused hour-long session, offered every Saturday for an eight-week period.
The central focus will be on the basics of ballet; both at the barre and centre, but also include:
- A brief history of ballet
- Music appreciation and how the structure of western-based classical music drives each phrase and combination of dance
- Physics and why this training allows the body to complete technical proficiency
- Repetition and how the body and mind slowly “habituate”- creates a link between the brain and body
- Spacial relationships; where are we on stage and where are others and why that matters to the entire picture
- Discipline and how that helps achieve set goals.
Please bring a water container, comfortable stretchy clothes and footwear: non-skid socks, ballet slippers or flexible sneakers.
Lawrence Pech danced under the direction of Mikhail Baryshnikov with American Ballet Theater, was a Principal Dancer with San Francisco Ballet, founded two dance companies (Diablo Ballet and The Lawrence Pech Dance Company), received a Bachelors of Music (Composition) from the San Francisco Conservatory of Music and for the past 24 years was Ballet Master/Resident Choreographer for the San Francisco Opera. To date, Mr. Pech has choreographed over 60 ballets, 70 musicals, 140 operas and numerous self-produced evenings of original music, dance and theater.