In-person indoor programming has been postponed until it is declared safe to gather indoors again. You will be contacted by instructors, as the classes change to outdoor, online, or a new date. You will automatically be enrolled in the new class in its new format, but if you want a refund, wish to donate your tuition, or want to change classes, that’s also possible. [email protected]
What is “Try It For $20”?
Creative, hands-on exploratory experiences (think: fun workshop, stress-releasing) that will inspire you to try something new. Are you afraid to commit to an eight week class because you don’t know if you will like it? These entry-level classes are designed to broaden your horizons and are a great way to get acquainted with some of the wonderful things happening at the Sonoma Community Center. And yes, they are only $20 for a one to two hour session, all materials are included and you will be learning from our talented staff and teaching artists.
We are offering classes in ceramics, print, fiber, youth, music, and culinary. These classes are the perfect gift!
Check out our upcoming classes by department below! Registration will go live on December 15th!
Token & Gift Certificates:
If you have a Try It For $20 Gift Token or Certificate, and don’t see a class you want to take, please join our mailing list for Try It For $20 updates. We will let you know when new classes or added, or you can use your token as a $20 off coupon on another class! Congratulations on trying something new!
MUST HAVE GIFT CERTIFICATE OR TOKEN TO REDEEM AT THE CLASS! <3
Stay tuned for additional “Try-It’s” as they pop up throughout the year.
Become a member of Sonoma Community Center to receive discounts on classes and more! Join Today
THUR Jan 20- Teen Wheel with Meg Billingham- 6-8pm, Room 117, AGES 13-17
- Ready to get messy? Come explore the world of clay with this hands on wheel throwing experience. This is an exploratory experiential class where young artists will try and make a form using the pottery wheel. Firing is not included. The full class with Megan will start on Thursdays in February. Great opportunity for those who have always wanted to try it! Try It
- WED Jan 5- Try Pottery on the Wheel with Ben Betourne- 6-8pm, 117
- Get muddy! Try making pottery on the wheel and be ready to get messy. During this experience you will use the wheel to try turning mud into pottery forms. Firing is not included in this class.If you want to continue learning and making, Ben teaches regularly on Monday and Wednesday nights, and Sunday during the day. Try It!
- THUR Jan 6- KILN LOADING & STUDIO TOUR : TRY IT FOR $20 with Kala Stein- 6-8pm, Glaze Barn & Kiln Shed
- Stacking, loading, maintenance and our various kiln types will be explored in this 2-hour experience. You will get a chance to learn how to load electric and gas kilns, firing methodology, and aout the nuances of our kilns at Sonoma Ceramics.
- FRI Jan 7- Handbuilt Pottery with Lynn Wood- 10am-12pm, 209
- Learn how to make pottery from slabs of clay, decorate with texture, patterns, and stamps! This is the most straight-forward process to make handmade pottery, try it and love it! If you want to continue learning and making, Lynn teaches regularly on Friday mornings.
- THUR Jan 20- Teen Wheel with Meg Billingham- 6-8pm, 117
- Ready to get messy? Come explore the world of clay with this hands on wheel throwing experience. This is an exploratory experiential class where young artists will try and make a form using the pottery wheel. Firing is not included. The full class with Megan will start on Thursdays in February. Great opportunity for those who have always wanted to try it! This try it class is centered around folks ages 13 – 17.
- SUN Feb 20- Handbuilt Pottery with Deborah Donnahower- 10am-12pm, 209
- Learn how to make handbuilt pottery! This is the most straight-forward process to make handmade pottery, try it and love it! If you want to continue learning and making, Deborah teaches regularly on Monday mornings.
Drawing and Painting
- If you’ve wanted to learn watercolor painting but not sure if it’s right for you, come to this easygoing and welcoming workshop. You’ll explore some basic techniques with the guidance of an experienced painter who will share his tips and tricks of working with this challenging medium.
- Spend two fun hours carving, scratching, rollin, and squeegeeing your way through an introduction to the wild world of printmaking. Try monotype, linocut, drypoint, and screenprinting. It will be just enough to pique your interest and whet your appetite. You’ll leave with a variety of prints and hopefully a desire to come back and make more!Try It
Live Exploratory Arts, Music
Piano – Private Lessons (by appointment), All Ages
Learn the fun and rewarding art of playing the piano. Great for first-timers or those wanting to brush off their skills. Call: 707- 938-4626 x1.
Singing – Private Lessons (by appointment), Ages 9+
One-on-one Voice lessons for people who want to sing modern musical theater or types of contemporary styles. This is the perfect opportunity for newbie singers, casual singers wanting to improve and add to their repertoire, and performers wanting to reconnect with their voice. Call: 707- 938-4626 x1.