Sonoma Ceramic’s Artist in Residence Program at Sonoma Community Center
The Ceramic Artist in Residence program offers a self- directed emerging or established ceramic artist a supportive work environment to explore ideas and create a cohesive body of work. We offer two, 6-month, all-inclusive residencies per year for potters or ceramic sculptors. (Applications are closed for this round, our next application round will open 1/8/18.)
SETTING: Located in the heart of Sonoma County’s picturesque wine country, one hour north of San Francisco, and in the quaint downtown of Sonoma, this residency is designed to benefit those who are dedicated to the ceramics medium and those interested in working closely with our studio members.
ELIGIBILITY: The program is open to all ceramic artists living within the United States and culminates with a solo gallery exhibition at the end of the residency period.
WORK: In exchange for a monthly stipend of $750, lodging, firings, glazes, and 24 hour studio access, the Artist in Residence is expected to work 20 hours per week. Tasks include managing electric, gas, Raku, and Soda kiln firings, mixing glazes and slips, special event support, outreach, administrative support, and other studio-related tasks under the supervision of Ceramics Program Director.
HOUSING: The Resident’s studio apartment, located onsite, is fully furnished with bedding, a kitchenette, access to a full-sized commercial kitchen, internet, utilities, mailbox, parking, and a pink bicycle.
SELECTION: The resident artist is selected through a jury process which evaluates artistic merit, and proven studio/material competency as represented by the artist’s portfolio, resume, letter of intent, and professional references. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For further inquiries contact: Ceramics Program Director Kala Stein at 707-931-4290 x9
2018 Spring ResidencyJanuary – June
- Aug 1, 2017 Applications open
- Nov 5, 2017 Submission deadline
- Nov 24, 2017 Notification to applicants
2018 Fall ResidencyJuly - December
- Jan 8, 2018 Applications Open
- Apr 22, 2018 Submission deadline
- May 11, 2018 Notification to applicants
- Work exchange with stipend
- Solo exhibition
- Teaching & retail opportunities
- Located two blocks to the center of Sonoma, grocery stores, and other amenities
- Fully furnished, on-site studio apartment w/ bathroom & shower
- Twin bed & futon Desk, lamp, shelving & dining table
- Kitchenette w/ hot plate, microwave & mini-fridge
- Limited use of the Center’s commercial kitchen
- Dedicated semi-private work space in ceramics studio
- On-site parking
- Internet and utilities
- Access to print presses